So, you’ve basically run out of time to buy gifts, eh? Here’s my trick: Preorder an upcoming book (or DVD, or CD, etc.) for someone. Instead of having an actual gift under the tree, print out a little card telling them what they’re receiving. That may sound just a little awkward, but think of the upside:
- You can do it at absolutely the last minute.
- You can be sure you’re buying them something they don’t already have, because nobody has it, it hasn’t been published yet.
- Your gift will get counted by them twice – once when you give the certificate, and again when it arrives.
- Your gift will arrive when it’s not in the midst of eleventeen other gifts competing for being appreciated.
- The price may actually be lower than what you put down – remember, if Amazon lowers the price even for a minute any time between when you order and when the item is released, you get that lower price.
So you can get a Peanuts fan Let’s Dance, Snoopy, which comes out next month. Or your favorite Veronica Mars loving “Marshmallow” the next Veronica Mars novel. Or order The Complete Maude for the person in your life with Bea Arthuritis!